Luka Beograd started its first chapter on the 11th of March 1957, when the People's Committee of the City of Belgrade issued a directive to establish the Board for construction and development of the Danube river bank, with the aim to build the Danube port, access roads, warehouses and storage space and other port facilities and plants. Its final name "The Company of Belgrade docks" was determined by the Assembly of the City of Belgrade, while 1961 is officially taken as the year of foundation. Foundation acts defined the company's activity, which would be performed on the Sava port, the port in Zemun and the Danube port which is currently under construction.
In the process of conforming to the Companies Law from 1989, the firm was renamed as State Company LUKA BEOGRAD. After the concluded ownership transformation on 21.02.2002, Luka was registered at the Commercial Court as LUKA BEOGRAD Ltd. To this day it has been active under that name with the headquarters located in Žorža Klemensoa street no. 37.
Luka Beograd's plans currently focus on the modernization of port services and business activities in line with the highest European standards, as well as participation in the development and further urbanization of Belgrade waterfront.